Many students are interested in studying in Europe for a variety of reasons, but they would like a destination other than France, Spain, or Italy. Though it is only about the size of South Carolina, the Czech Republic is something of a hidden gem in Europe. Until 1993, the Czech Republic was part of Czechoslovakia, and today the country includes Bohemia and Moravia, as well as a rich cultural history. From composers to writers, the Czech Republic has creative heritage. Prague is the country’s cultural center, but historic towns, castles, and national parks are spread across the rest of the country. The Czech Republic has much to offer for students that want a different European experience.

The Czech Republic is a tremendous choice for students from a variety of academic backgrounds. The country is home to a dozen different universities, one of which is the world-renowned Charles University. Czech is a fairly difficult language to learn, but most classes are also available in English.

Many students will feel at home when studying in the Czech Republic institutes. Programs and courses are available in all from the humanities, history and social sciences to business, legal studies, political science, and international relations. Apart from your interests, you are almost definite to find a program or course of study in the Czech Republic that will give you a new perception.

Expenses covering the stay are substantially lower as compared to other European country. Expenses covering food, accommodation, and public transportation come altogether to about 200-250 Euros/month. Obviously, it all depends on the student’s lifestyle and on how much he/she really wants to spend.

The International Student Identity Card (ISIC) is the best card for all students. It allows cardholders to get student discounts for transport, restaurants, cinemas, museums, exhibitions and concerts. Most importantantly, students coming to the Czech Republic should obtain an ISIC card as soon as they arrive.

Industries students can be employed, but must have a job permit. Job permit is not required if the student (max. 26 years old) works not longer than 7 consecutive calendar days or 30 days a year in total.